First, a fun creative gift for your sweetheart doesn’t have to be elaborate or expensive. In fact, it can be as easy as grabbing a pick-six mix-and-match pack from the grocery or liquor store to create a fun selection of beers. Show some extra love by decorating it and then give the six pack as a “Will You Beer My Valentine?” gift.
This is also a great way to grab a selection of beers that pair well with several courses of a romantic dinner. Our suggestions:
- Sierra Nevada Hoppy Lager goes well with sharp cheeses like bleu cheese or sharp white cheddar if you’re serving a cheese plate or charcuterie board for appetizers.
- Carson’s RIPA and Abita Wrought Iron IPA are IPAs or India Pale Ales, and the bitter hops in these beers pair well with fish, perhaps a lovely pink salmon or lobster tails.
- Smuttynose Old Brown Dog and Newcastle Scotch Ale are darker ales that complement smoked meats if you’re grilling a steak dinner for your sweetheart.
- Angry Orchard Hop n’ Mad is a gluten-free cider that goes well with desserts like carrot cake, cupcakes or other sweet treats for your sweetie!
If you’re staying in for the evening, there are lots of fun beer cocktails to serve at a party or for an after-dinner drink. The “Chocolate Covered Cherry” is one of my favorites, and it’s sure to be well-received at a Girls’ Night Out, hanging out with the guys or at any Valentine’s Day gathering. Just follow these easy steps:
- Fill a glass with equal parts Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat and Lagunitas Imperial Stout, or any dark stout beer.
- Garnish with cherries. It’s that simple!
Finally, we have a festive, nonalcoholic option – perfect for parties with kids and designated drivers. This is a special Valentine’s Day version of a Shirley Temple with fun Pop Rocks rim. Just follow these steps:
- Dip the rim of the glass in cream of coconut. You can find a can of this sweet stuff in your grocery store.
- Rim the glass with pink or red Pop Rocks. They’ll stick to the cream of coconut.
- Pour in ginger ale and a dash of grenadine syrup.
- Garnish with a cherry and serve.
To see these tips in action, check out this clip from WBIR-TV Channel 10:
Have fun this Valentine’s Day. And, remember the best gift you can give your loved ones is to be safe and drink responsibly. Cheers!