Cookies and milk, milk and cookies… But cookies and beer? YES!
December 4th signals National Cookie Day on the calendar of *super official* holidays but we couldn’t be more excited about it. People around the country are heating up their ovens and visiting countless retailers who offer special cookie giveaways and discounts to add a little sweetness to their Monday. But before you reach for your trusted 2% milk to wash down that snickerdoodle, perhaps dig a little deeper in the fridge towards something more…exciting!
Beer has the potential to create complex flavors and mouth feels with its shape-shifting ability to range from dark and intense to subtle and fresh. It can make the ritual of cookie-dunking feel a little more grown up. Highland’s Oatmeal Porter is an excellent option for the occasion. But not only is it fantastic to pair with your sweet treats, it’s an ace in the kitchen as well! Here’s a take on a delicious recipe for Pub Cookies that would make you bartender proud.
HIGHLAND OATMEAL PORTER PUB COOKIES
ALL THE THINGS YOU LOVE FROM A PUB IN A COOKIE!
*RECIPE ADAPTED FROM THE BEERONEES.COM
- 1-2 TBS HIGHLAND OATMEAL PORTER
- 3/4 CUP BUTTER CUBED
- 2/3 CUP BROWN SUGAR
- 1/2 CUP SUGAR
- 1 EGG PLUS 1 YOLK
- 1 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 CUP ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- 3/4 CUP BREAD FLOUR
- 1 TSP CORNSTARCH
- 1/2 TSP BAKING SODA
- 1/4 TSP SALT
- 1 CUP DARK CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- 2/3 CUP PRETZELS IN PIECES
- 1/4 CUP HONEY ROASTED PEANUTS OR PECANS
- Preheat oven 350
- In mixer bowl add butter, brown sugar, white sugar and beat until creamed. Add the egg and egg yolk, combine. Add 1-2 TBS Highland Oatmeal Porter and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix flours, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually pour dry mixture into mixer bowl and mix on low just until combined. Don’t over mix.
- Add chocolate chips, broken pretzels and honey roasted nuts.
- Cover cookie sheet with baking spray or parchment paper.
- With a soup spoon scoop out an amount of dough, roll in hands to form a ball.
- Bake for 12 minutes until bottom of cookies are light brown. They will bake a bit after being removed from oven.
- Cool completely and enjoy with a Highland Oatmeal Porter!